Tuesday, January 30, 2007

To all of my legions of fans who are health-nuts, tell me this:

My favorite bread is the cheapo white stuff. Soft. Moist. Yummy. I splurged this week and bought some whole-grain bread. 3x as expensive. More fat. More calories. More carbs. Not as yummy. Tell me why I should buy whole grain bread.

Now--on to other things...

Dwane did the 4-mile in-home walk with me this morning. I definitely burned more calories, if only because I was doubled over in laughter while I was exercising. What a hoot! He did quite well, but you know Dwane--instead of doing small kicks, he had to see how high he could kick. He kicked up as high as my shoulder. I thought he was going to knock my head off. It was fun to exercise with him today, but honestly, I couldn't take it more than once a week.

For supper last night I made "Catholic Chicken", so named because I first found the recipe in a Catholic Church cookbook. I love it. Take a boneless chicken breast. Put a slice of Swiss cheese on it. Mix 1 can of cream of chicken soup (you can use the lower-fat kind) with 1/4 cup of white cooking wine (since I don't drink, I just use the stuff that's 1.79 a bottle!). Smear this mixture on top of the chicken & cheese. Sprinkle with some bagged stuffing. Drizzle with some butter. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Delicious! I suppose if you were counting carbs, you could just leave off the stuff and the butter (but that's the best part).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll give you a quickie bread lesson!
You should not by whole grain bread. You should by 100% whole wheat bread. Whole grain is a marketing scam. There really is no health benefit to it. You might as well eat the white stuff. White bread makes your blood sugar level jump. Then when your body has processed it you start craving more food..it's kind of like a drug. Also whole wheat bread has more stuff in it so it is more filling. It keeps your blood sugar at an even level. Also, it has fiber in it, so it keeps your system cleaner. I used to like white bread much, much more than whole wheat bread, but now that i've adjusted, white bread tastes kind of like styrofoam.

8:12 PM

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Sizzle--
Specifically, what type of whole-wheat bread do you recommend? The ones I have tried have been awful. They are so dry that I can't produce enough spit to swallow it!!

8:23 PM

 
Blogger sizzle said...

It does take some time to get used to. I usually by Freihoffers or something like that. It begins with an F. or sometimes I by the one that comes in a paper bag.

9:10 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Following Sizzle's instructions, I buy Pepperidge Farms Stoneground 100% Whole Wheat bread. It costs about $3. I only eat bread about once or twice a week, so the cost isn't that bad. I get three weeks out of a bag. The slices are a little on the small side, but big enough.

6:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate white bred :P i love all whole grain and whole wheat breads. i recommend oat bread. it's healthier than white bread, but it's less straw-like ;)

9:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts