Friday, October 06, 2006

Gina Says:

This week I've been thinking about children. I've been thinking about the way the Amish raise their children. About how family and friends are raising theirs. Which spurred memories of my own childhood. The following are today's Childhood Friday Five Questions.

1. Did you receive an allowance as a child? If yes, how much? Were you required to perform extra chores or was the allowance simply given to you?

I really don't think I did. Maybe from time to time, but certainly not regularly. I was supposed to keep my room clean, but I did a horrible job at that. My parents really didn't require much of anything from me.

2. Did your family use spanking as a punishment? As an adult, what are your feelings regarding this now?

I think I was spanked maybe three times. I think I got spanked twice because I ran away--once to Ma's and once to Aunt DeeDee's. I think the other time was when I was in my room throwing a tantrum because someone had opened the bag of Doritos, and it wasn't me. All three of us kids were sent to our rooms, and I threw a fit about it. I think all three times I was spanked it was by my mom. I absolutely do not feel scarred by it at all. I have spanked both of my kids. Not often, but I have. Of course, spanking can be abused, but I think the Bible teaches that spanking can be used as punishment, so long as it's done in love, and not in anger.

3. As a child did you ever see/hear your parents argue? Do you feel (your) children should be shielded from family spats?

I saw my parents argue from time to time. One time I was really scared by it, and I ran away to Ma's (again!). My parents were never, never violent, and they didn't even raise their voices when they argued, but you could tell that they were not happy with each other. There are times when Dwane and I have disagreed, and I wish that Eben hadn't been present, because it upset it. I think that divorce is pretty big in his classroom, and I think that crosses his mind. I try to shield the kids as much as I can, but at the same time, it's a part of life. Even two people that love each other very much can disagree from time to time. I hope that Eben will learn that when parents disagree, they need to work it out (as Dwane and I always do), and not just give up on the marriage.

4. As a young teenager what time was your curfew? Was this fair then? What do you think about that curfew hour now that you're older?

Other then cheerleading, I never went anywhere until my senior year in high school. When I had my first boyfriend, at age 17, my curfew was 10:00 on school nights and 11:00 on weekends. My parents always made it clear, though, that if I wanted to go somewhere special, I could stay out later--I was just supposed to be in at curfew if I was just "hanging out". When Dwane and I started dating, my curfew was 1:00 AM. I can remember that Michael always seemed to come in after me, and he was 7 years younger. I decided to be rebellious once, and I didn't come home until 3:00 AM. Mom explained to me that what was important was that she just knew where I was, and that I was safe. If I called to say I was going to be late, it was never a problem. My parents and I had respect for each other in that department. Even now, I let my Mom know if I'm going somewhere out of town--just so she'll know where I am. (And I expect the same from her!)

5. What if anything, would you change about your childhood?

Maybe that the house didn't burn down, or maybe that it could have lasted longer. I absolutely loved my childhood, and even though it may seem cliche, I can't imagine having better parents. Honest. Oh--and if 17 years old still counts as childhood, I would never, never, never, give up cheerleading my senior year for a boyfriend. That was STUPID!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I stumbled here somehow... And I read what you said, so I may as well comment.

I was raised Mormon in Utah. My parents were fairly strict with everything. My dad spanked me quite a few times, with the belt. i remember once I was begging him not to do it. It wasn't alot though, so maybe I deserved it. I think the reason was dumb though, I think me and my brother were making too much noise laughing when we were supposed to goto bed.

I have kids now. A 8 yr girl and 5 yr old boy. I don't spank them, they dont need it, they are great kids. They have to stand in the corner sometimes, but that seems to do the trick. I don't think kids need the pain of spanking to understand they are in trouble and did something wrong. If a kid is out of control its better to put them in a safe environment and leave them alone sometimes spanking is necessary, as long as it doesnt become "beating"

3:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts