Friday, August 04, 2006

Lisa's “Things You Don’t Discuss at a Dinner Party” MI-5:

I really like upbeat, positive, easy MI-5 questions. This time, however, I thought I’d go with something deep, awkward, and thought-provoking. The topics are not my favorite topics to write about, but now no one can accuse me of only preparing “easy” questions. I will list the topic, and you can say as much, or as little, as you’d like. You can express your own view, or you can talk about the issue in light of today’s political climate, or tell some story that relates somehow to the topic. Here goes:

1. Political Parties

I signed up as a Republican right after I turned 18. There was a primary coming up, and I wanted to vote for Jock McKernan, because I thought he was cute. I didn't do any research about political parties, I just thought Jock was cute. As it turned out, I think I fit in best with the Republican way of thinking, except for gun control. Keep in mind, too, that I am not too big on politics, so I haven't done a whole lot of research about it.

2. Abortion

I am pro-life. I believe life begins at conception. I think some people in government like to play it both ways, though. They want to say that a fetus is not a baby in need of protection when it comes to abortion, but when it comes to a mother and her fetus being killed by a drunk driver, all of a sudden those same people now claim that the fetus is a baby, and the drunk driver has 2 counts of manslaughter against him, and not just one.

3. Gun Control

I don't necessary have a huge problem if someone wants to have gun that's big enough to go hunting (although I personally have no interest in ever going hunting, and would actually prefer that Dwane wouldn't). However, I have a huge problem with someone needing a semi-automatic or machine gun under their pillow for protection. I don't think that's quite necessary. Maybe because I live in a virtually crime-free neighborhood. But wouldn't a gun that can kill a deer also be enough to wound a gun in the leg if you needed to get away???

4. Prayer in Schools

I don't think students should be "forced" to pray. God doesn't want someone to come to Him because they are forced. However, I think it would be good for our country if schools would allow a 1 or 2 minute time of silence so that kids could pray if they wanted to. The way the world is going, the more prayers being said, the better.

5. Katie Couric, Brian Williams, or Charlie Gibson? Someone else? (I needed to do at least one question that was somewhat “fun”!)

Historically, I have like NBC, so I think I would've said Brian Williams a year ago. When Katie Couric decided to jump to CBS, I thought maybe I'd watch her. I'm finding, though, that I'm really like Charlie Gibson on ABC. This kindda happened because Dr. Phil is on ABC at 5:00, and then I just don't bother to change the channel. I really think Katie's strength is more "playful, spunky interviews", and I'm not sure how she'd be being serious all of the time. I'm going to watch her for sure, just to see how the newscast might be different. Ok. I guess I didn't really answer the question. Right this minute, my answer is.....Charlie Gibson.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOu know...I admit I was a little nervous doing this one...I purposely don't talk much about my stands on MANY of these topics on my blog...but I think it was a good experience! Thanks for the great (but tough) topics!!!

12:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts