Thursday, July 13, 2006

Here are Eben's answers:

1. Describe your “relationship” with NASCAR. Are you a big fan? An
occasional watcher? Never had any interest in it at all?

Well, NASCAR is a very competitive sport. I watch it every Sunday with my parents and my little brother. The biggest event of NASCAR Nextel Cup Series is the Daytona 500. The first race that ever got the green flag was in Daytona Beach, part road, part sand on the Daytona Beach. The year was 1948. I love NASCAR. I have lots of NASCAR cars that I play with.

2. Tell us about your favorite NASCAR driver. Is he/she your favorite
driver because of their ability, or because of some aspect of their
personality? If you didn’t even know that NASCAR involves driving,
you could tell us about your favorite professional athlete.

My favorite driver is Bobby Labonte. My family likes him cuz he's a Christian. At least that's what Mom says. And he got his first championship in 2000. He has got 21 wins, 6 wins at Atlanta, 3 times at Michigan, and 1 time at Daytona. He drives the #43 Cheerios car. He has one brother who is Terry Labonte. His biggest purse in winnings was $831,225.00 at the 2000 Brickyard 400, and he has raced 438 starts at the end of 2005.

3. Have you ever attended a NASCAR race? If not, would you like to go to
one? Which one would you like to go to? If you didn’t even know that
NASCAR involves racing, you could tell us about any professional
sporting event that you have attended, or would like to attend.

Yes, I have attended a NASCAR race in 2002. My driver drove the 2002 Interstate Batteries Pontiac for Joe Gibbs. My driver placed 14th at Lowe's Motor Sppedway. He placed 2nd in the same race, but just a different date, and a different name. It was the same racetrack. The race I would really like to go to is Martinsville and Bristol Motor Speedway because you can see a lot of action. If you're going three wide on those tracks, you bet there's going to be a wreck.

4. My Dad’s theory was that NASCAR was rigged—that crashes were created
on purpose to give the fans what they wanted to see (similar to
professional wrestling). Do you agree or disagree? Why?

Disagree. I have to disagree with that because there is different kinds. Last week's race at Chicagoland, Jeff Gordon wiped out Matt Kenseth because Matt Kenseth accidentally wiped out Jeff Gordon at Bristol earlier this year. Jeff Gordon was really mad so he bumped him back. That's one type of wrecking. The other type is accident wrecking. If your car is not good in the corners and doesn't brake or doesn't turn, and if the guy behind you is faster, he can accidentally bump you and turn you around.

5. If you were going to be surprised with a “getaway weekend” for your
birthday, where would you like to go? While it’s fun to dream,
let’s try to be somewhat realistic. (In other words, jet setting
to Paris is probably out.)

I would have to say to go to Daytona, Watkins Glen, or Infineon. Those are the tracks with the biggest pile ups. In 2004, at Infineon three cars were going three wide on a road course. They all just spun out at the same time, like they were dancing on the track. If I went to Daytona, I would get front-row seats right where the good wrecks are, and once there was a wreck at Daytona, it was so bad, Dale Earnhardt, Sr. died in the wreck. In the same year at the same track, his son won he Pepsi 400. If I went to Watkins Glen for my birthday, I would get front row seats again and see the twisting turns as the cars go around the track.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts