Saturday, June 13, 2009

AMY'S SUMMERTIME MI-5

Amy says: "School's are letting up, the weather is a little warmer and the days a little longer. It's time for the Summertime 5"

1. In school were you the kind of kid who was sad when school let out for the summer, or happy to be moving on?

I loved school, but I was always glad to welcome summer. I was (and still am) a homebody, and I liked being home with my Mom. I also loved to spend time with Becky, Lisa, and Melanie.

2. Talk about a memorable childhood summer. Did you go somewhere special? Did you do something fun?

One summer(I'm thinking I was in 3rd grade or so), Aunt Ginny and Uncle Adrian took Billy and I to New York. Uncle Ade was from Mamoroneck (I used to know how to spell that), which is, for the most part, just outside the city. We had Carvel ice cream, went to the amusement park in Rye (I think), and took in the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty. We climbed up Liberty's crown, but the arm was closed for repairs. I'm quite glad of that. Climbing all of the narrow stairs really made me quite queasey. I don't care to do it again. One other summer (just before my senior year of high school), I flew to Brooklyn, NY with Aunt Jo and Jen. We took in the United Nations, Cats on Broadway, and screened a CBS game show. We also went to Cony Island.

3. During summers my brother and I use to comb the house for enough change to go to the local community college's summer free swim. Talk about something fun you use to do during the summer?

I loved going down to "King's Island", which was a clump of rocks that was mostly submerged at high tide, but very easy to get to and play on during low tide. There was "king's chair", "king's bed", and "king's bathtub". It was right across the street from my best friend's house. We also used to stop at Edie's little lunch stand to get French fries with white vinegar.

4. Do you have a favorite summertime food?

Believe it or not, I really enjoy some fresh fruits and vegetables in the summer. I love red potatoes, green beans, and corn on the cob from Beth's Farm Market. I also look forward to some strawberries dipped in chocolate, which I think I'm going to be having for dessert tonight.

5. Talk about a summertime tradition you have now?

Going to Beth's Farm Market has become somewhat of a tradition. We always go to the Lobster Festival Parade, and Dwane usually drags me to the Lobster Festival on hometown night when it is free. He just HAS to have a fried dough. I would rather avoid the whole thing, but I go along, because that's the tradition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts