Tuesday, April 08, 2008

NEED DIGITAL CAMERA HELP

Last summer, I finally gave in and bought a digital camera. You've probably all heard this story before--I had a Ricoh film camera that I absolutely adored. I mean, LOVED it. The pictures were ALWAYS beautiful--the colors always crisp and clear. And it was so easy to use. Just point and shoot. The film door had broken several times, and my battery door was taped shut. Ricoh no longer carries film cameras anymore, and the idea of being able to put all of my pictures on a disc and put them in my Mom's safe (to protect from fire) really appealed to me.

I bought a GE E1040 last year from HSN. It's pink, and comes with a pretty Sharif camera case (which is also lined with pink). I HATE it!! Here are my reasons:

1. There is no viewfinder. You have only the LCD screen. When it is sunny out, the glare is so bad that you can't see anything.

2. From the time you push the shutter button, until the picture actually takes, is forever. When I take pictures of my kids, I have to say "Keep smiling, keep smiling, keep smiling" until the flash finally takes. I think there might be a pre-flash, so it confuses the kids as to when the picture has actually been taken.

3. And most of all--the pictures are crappy!!! I've tried lots of different settings ("party" mode for inside pictures; auto; low-light; stabilization mode, etc.). I just can't get good pictures. Once and a while I get one, but it's rare. Certainly nothing like my Ricoh. The pictures are blurry, grainy, or the colors are faded or just aren't crisp and clear.

This camera has 4x optical zoom, and is a 10 megapixel. I have printed a couple of 8x10s, and I don't seem to lose any quality when I enlarge the print. It's just the print wasn't great to begin with.

I have used the Kodak camera booth thingie at Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart online (both one-hour and the 4-5 day version), and Wal-Mart in the store.

So, am I just spoiled with my Ricoh? Do I need to try different film processing? Is this camera just junk? I paid about $200 for it. I did go back to HSN to read the customer comments, and it was rated an average of 4 out of 5 stars by about 95 people. The ones that gave it lower ratings gave it the same type of review I am giving you now.

So, what do I do? Should I try a new camera? What do you recommend?

I might also add, that if your recommended camera comes in pink, that's a huge plus. Not just because I love pink, but because my husband is notorious for dropping cameras (which is the reason for the many film covers and taped battery-door on my Ricoh). If the camera is pink, he is much less likely to use it to begin with. :)

I do have my pictures on Flickr, if you think that you can look at those and tell me the problem.

If I buy a new camera, I don't really want to spend more than $200. But, at the same time, scrapbooking is my life, and I want good pictures again. I want something that is very user-friendly. I don't want to mess with lenses, settings, etc. I also want something that will fit in my purse.

Any suggestions? Amy? Janet? (If she even reads this.) Anyone?

2 Comments:

Blogger Billy Rhythm said...

Delayed pre flash? Sounds like you might have the red eye reduction on. What happens if it's shut of?

9:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa- Sorry I didn't catch this earlier.

1. A lot of the newer digicams do not have viewfinders which does suck although I was at my local camera shop and I found these little add on windows you can add that shade it for easier viewing. Higher end cameras (digital SLRS for instance) do have view finds but can be expensive...).

2. I had this problem too with my Sony. I had a digital canon 3.5 megapix camera. I LOVED IT. I gave it to my brother when I bought my sony 5 megapix camera...and regretted it because I hated it. it was slow to actually shoot the photos so they would be blurry because either I would move or my subject would move. I never figured out why...got frustrated and ended up buying another canon. I LOVE my canons. It might be due to low light as well. Check your camera to see if it has an adjustable ISO setting and if it is inside or dark use a higher setting.

3. Make sure in the settings of your camera that you have it set to take the highest quality pictures it will take. When you set your camera this way you may get fewer pictures on your card but they will be higher quality pictures. (look for FINE OR SUPERFINE settings).

If you decide that you want a different camera I would suggest a Canon...I have owned three of them (currently I use two different ones...a "purse sized camera" and a bigger (but still not quite SLR) and LOVED them all. My current purse canon is the Canon SD630 and I LOVE IT. It does not have a few finder but other than that it takes great pictures...and there isn't too much of a delay when you snap the picture. You might be able to find this one as it is a couple years old now for about $200 dollars...any of the canon elphs will probably do what you are looking for. My dad just bought a smaller "pocket" Canon...his is the SD870 and there isnt much difference....so I would look at your favorite store for something between the sd630 and the sd870 that fits your price range if you decide on a new camera.

Also- don't be afraid to email me and ask questions. And girl...I take 10 pictures and am lucky if one comes out satisfactory...so I am still learning too :)

You may want to email janet...email me and I will give you her address :) I email her with questions too and she is great about helping.

1:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts