Friday, March 28, 2008

PADDY'S ALL ABOUT JOBS MI-5

Paddy says: Since this issue has been on my mind as of late, here is a 5 about jobs and careers (Billy wanted it to be about funk tunes, but this is cathartic, so bear with me):

1) Think back now. What was your first REAL job ... you know, one that you had a W-2 from at the end of the year. Tell us about it:

It was a job as a legal secretary for Attorney John L. Knight. I filled in for his secretary for three weeks while she was on vacation. This was the summer between my Junior and Senior years of high school. When school started, he offered me the opportunity to work there after school. When school got out for the day, I would walk to his office, work for about 90 minutes, and then go home. He was an older guy, and his secretary was older as well. He really liked computer gadgets and what not, and she would have nothing to do with them. He used to love the fact that I would put his schedule on the computer for him, and he often took me on a field trip to Radio Shack, his favorite shopping place.

2) Everybody has had a favorite job, perhaps one that they are still in. What was yours?

Unless being a Mom counts, I don't think I've had a favorite job yet. I'm still waiting for a "fun" job. I do love being a representative for Close to My Heart, and if there was some way to really expand that business, I'm sure that would be my favorite.

3) Remember that job that you thought would be great ... that wasn't?
Tell us about your biggest career-related error in judgment:

I often wonder if I was too quick to resign my position as a paralegal for Jim Brannan. At the time, it seemed like the only thing to do, but I still wonder.

4) What is more important to you in your career choice: Money or Satisfaction? Or both ... or something else? Explain:

I have to agree with my Aunt Ginny here. I'd love to have a job that truly gave me satisfaction, instead of dreading it, but those kinds of job don't pay the bills. I can't really turn away $20/hour as a paralegal for a "fun" job selling diamonds that may pay only minimum wage.

5) OK, it's dream job time. For the sake of this exercise, we'll assume that you can at least make a comfortable living wage from the work ... regardless of its nature. So, what is it that you would choose to do, day in, day out, to earn your daily bread?

My first choice would be to teach scrapbooking. There are certainly many gals out there that can make a living at it, but in this economy, people are more concerned with paying the light bill than making scrapbooks. Other choices would be in jewelry or wedding gown sales, substitute teacher, or maybe even a geologist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts