Friday, December 01, 2006

Billy Rhythm's MI-5:

While listening to NPR this weekend, I heard a couple of new bands that really interested me. So I bring to you a music/holiday MI-5

1) Have you got any CDs on your Christmas list? By whom?

I think the only one I have is "Time Well Wasted" by Brad Paisley. There is a compilation CD/DVD of "inspirational country songs". I can't remember the name of it, but I saw it on TV and at Sam's Club. It has a drawing of a cross on it. It looks like a good selection of songs. I'd prefer the DVD, though, so that I can play it in the van. It would give the kids something to watch, and me something to listen to instead of the Sponge Bob DVD.

2) What was the last "new" band that got you excited? Not new CDs by artists you knew, but some new band/act that you'd never heard of, but once you heard them, you needed their album.

Well, they're not so new anymore, but the last band that got me "excited" was Sugarland. I really fell in love with them when I saw them on Crossroads with Bon Jovi.

3) Do you have a favorite Christmas album? Recommend it to us!

I absolutely have a favorite Christmas album. You'll laugh at me though. You'll laugh at me hard. In fact, you'll probably pee your pants. Are you ready for this--It's called A Partridge Family Christmas Card. I absolutely LOVE it. I had the record album as a kid, and bought the cassette sometime after I was married. I'd love to have it on a CD now, but I doubt it's out in that format. I love all of the songs on it, and I love how the songs are "rocked" up a bit (if you can even call the Partridge Family "rocking"). I also like the first Special Olympics Christmas Compilation. It must've come out in the late 80's or early 90's. I think it was called a "Very Special Christmas" or something like that. But--it doesn't beat the Partridge Family. I never get tired of that one.

4) There are some funny holiday songs out there. Which one do you like best?

I don't think I like any of them. I'm tired of Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer, and the dog's barking Jingle Bells is one of the most annoying things I've ever heard. Billy Rhythm mentioned a couple, but I don't think I've heard them. Does "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause" count as funny. If so, I guess I could pick that one. Although I cried every time I heard it last year. (I think I mourn the passing of my parents' love story almost more than I miss the passing of my Dad--but, of course, their love story will never really end.)

5) Share a holiday music memory with us

I remember going under the Christmas tree and unwrapping presents to see what was inside. Then I'd wrap them back up and hope no one would notice. I especially liked to unwrap the one from Uncle Wilbur and Aunt Evelyn. I also remember devising these big schemes with my brother to alert one another when the "Santa" presents had finally been placed under the tree on Christmas Eve. We'd make those "phones" out of toilet paper rolls with yarn, and work out some elaborate scheme to "telephone" each other if we thought we heard something. I also remember Christmas Eve when my grandparents would be putting the "unwrapped" presents under their tree. All of us kids would have to wait on the sunporch. I made up this story that the electric red candle in Margie Wall's window was really Rudolph's nose. Do you think anyone fell for it?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Partridge Family Christmas Card is available on CD.
Jane

8:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts