Monday, May 19, 2008

BAR HARBOR, ETC.

Well, I ended up going to Bar Harbor this weekend. The boys and I left on Friday at 3:00 from Tenants Harbor, and we got there at 5:30. We had to stop for road paving in Belfast for about 10 minutes (I actually shut the car off to save gas), and Eben needed a bathroom break in Searsport, but other than that, the drive was pretty smooth.

We had supper at the Trenton Lighthouse Restaurant. I would highly recommended it. We had an appetizer platter of chicken fingers, onion rings, and mozzarella sticks, Dwane and I split the seafood platter, Eben had a chicken burger, and Caleb had just French fries. The food was very good, and served very hot. The waitstaff was pleasant and kind. And--the best part--it cost us only $8! Since Dwane was there on business, he got to use the company card for the appetizer and the seafood platter. We spent the rest of the evening watching Indiana Jones on the big screen in the hotel room at the Bar Harbor Regency (Holiday Inn).

Dwane was up and out at 6:30 Saturday morning. Eben slept until 8:30, and Caleb slept until 9:00. The boys and I drove to the Bar Harbor Club, where the Dwane was running the AV for a group of Pediatric Oncology Social Workers. Dwane said he shed several tears over this one. I can imagine that it was gut-wrenching. The people were very, very happy with his job performance (said it was the best AV they had had in the 15 years they had been holding conferences), and they really wished they hadn't already booked their AV for their Memphis convention next year. They would have preferred to have Dwane there.

The boys and I then had about 2 hours to kill. It was raining, so mini-golf was out. We decided to just stroll Bar Harbor in the rain. We tried to stay under the awnings as much as we could, but we didn't spend too much time in the shops. Bar Harbor is definitely not handicapped accesible, and since I had Caleb in an umbrella stroller, it was pretty difficult getting in and out. And, once you got in, the stores were so crammed full of stuff that you couldn't really move around.

Dwane got done around 11:30. We finished packing up, and left for lunch at Friendly's in Ellsworth. The appetizers there were good, but the new burgers Friendly's was advertising were just so-so. They were too dry for my taste. (Maybe I need to learn to like mayo on my burgers.) We made a quick stop at Marden's, and then headed home.

We got back about 4:30, and fortunately, I had Sue's scrapbooking party stuff already set up, so I could spend the time unpacking. The party went well, and the cheeseball was gone in record time.

Dwane was not feeling well on Sunday, so he missed church. I'm convinced that because he was overtired, he caught a bug, but he insists he works that hard all the time, so I don't know. I also wonder if it's maybe the bronchitis from a couple of weeks coming up again. He did go to work today, as he had to take equipment back to Portland and get the company van inspected in NH. He will probably not get home until 7:00-7:30 tonight. (He's stopping at Popeye's Chicken in Kennebunk--one of his very favorite places.)

I guess that's it for my weekend wrap-up. I don't think I have anything planned this week, other than Bible Study tomorrow night, and I'm not sure what Dwane's schedule is yet for the week. I've got a couple of big paralegal projects that are "lurking"--I know that they'll be coming up, but I can't really do anything with them until A or B happens. Maybe I'll get some scrapbooking done. Or, maybe I can convince Beloved and Mrs. Cheeseball to sign up for online Cribbage so that I can finally play with someone!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Billy Rhythm said...

Beloved doesn't play crib. I tried to teach her once, but I don't have the patience for it.

8:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts