Wednesday, April 30, 2008

WHAT'S UP?

I haven't posted any sort of "update" for a while, so I thought I would do that while I have a few minutes.

This morning, I took Caleb to the dentist for his six-month checkup. He did great! No cavities. (Neither of my boys have ever had a cavity--knock on wood!) He did the flouride treatment for the first time, too. He didn't even come close to gagging, although I almost did just watching him. Caleb will not let me help him brush his teeth, so I was a little concerned about what the hygienist would say. She told me that considering he brushes his teeth all by himself, he does an incredible job. She had no complaints! I was so proud!

Dwane's car broke down (yes, again!) last week. He's got it fixed now, but he's been driving the work van, so I'll have to pick him up from work tonight. I'm going to head into Rockland after Eben gets home home from school, pick Dwane up at 4:00, and then pick up groceries while I'm uptown. (Gotta save on the gas, you know!) Hopefully, we'll be home fairly early, as Dwane still has the truck and the Subaru to fix, and of course, it's easier to do that when it's daylight. He plans to work on the truck tonight. There are six rusted bolts that have to be removed, and that is the hardest part of the job.

Tomorrow night, I'm having an Open House so that the girls can see the new scrapbooking stuff for summer. That will go from 6:30-8:00, and we'll just be socializing and eating Alice's cheeseball.

Friday afternoon, I have to go to the school after school. Eben's class will be taking "THE" class in health in May, and this is an opportunity for the parents to review the curriculum. I'm looking forward to that. (Not!)

On Saturday night, Eben will be crossing over from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. He should be getting his Arrow of Light at that time, so that will be a good time to really try out the zoom on my new camera. After the banquet, I'm planning on watching the Nascar race in Richmond. Dwane still doesn't know if he'll be driving the taxi this weekend or not. (Because this is the busy time at the Samoset, he's told Schooner Bay that he really needs to be just a "fill-in" driver at this point.)

(Right now I'm listening to Caleb talking to Dwane on the phone. He told Daddy that his teeth were now "shiny like a whistle.")

Saturday is also the Kentucky Derby. I'm planning a Kentucky Derby menu (Mini Hot Browns, Pretzel Horseshoes, and Mock Mint Julep) for the family lunch on Sunday. We have a potluck supper at church that night, so these little sandwiches should work out fine.

Looking ahead a little, Dwane has a convention to take care of in Bar Harbor in the middle of May. He'll be gone from May 14-17, I think. It's a good thing that I'm not too scared to be home alone. I wouldn't say that I like it, but I can handle it ok. On May 17th, Sue will be having a scrapbooking party here for her Birthday, so I can be planning and getting ready for that while Dwane's gone.

On the CD front, I just purchased Keith Urban's Greatest Hits (which is awesome), Spice Girls Greatest Hits (only because I wanted two of the songs for my Mp3 player, and I had a free CD coming to me), and a collection of John Mellencamp's hits. I'm a little disappointed in the Mellencamp one. I thought I was ordering the two-disc set of hits, but it was just a single disc, and I don't know even half of the songs on it. (It doesn't even have "Hurts So Good".)

On the book front, I'm still reading "Rejoice" by Karen Kingsbury and Gary Smalley for my "recreational reading" (which takes place only in the bathroom!). This is Book 4 of a 5-part series, which I absolutely adore. For my devotions, I'm just starting "Unveiling Mary Magdalene" by Liz Curtis Higgs, and I'm still working through "Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul" by John & Stasi Eldredge. I've loved everything I've read by Liz Higgs, but I'm not too sure about the "Captivating" book. I think parts of it are maybe a little contrary to what I learned in "Lies Women Believe". I'm still thinking those things through. I'm not saying that either book had anything theologically incorrect, I'm just trying to figure out if they are really complimentary to each other. "Captivating" also is a book that I think would relate more to women that have a lot of scars from childhood, and since I don't, I don't think all of it is necessarily applicable.

Ok, I've certainly rambled on enough for now.

Love to you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts