Thursday, March 06, 2008

AUNT GINNY'S RETIREMENT MI-5

Aunt Ginny says: In 25 days I will be retiring from the best job I ever had. Naturally, it is on my mind quite a bit! Even if you don't work for pay full time right now, What do you think it will be like?

1. At what age do you see yourself retiring?

Since my full-time job is a mother, I guess I will retire (at least somewhat) when Caleb is 18--13 years from now. That will make me about 53. Of course, I'll still be a mom, but the day-to-day making of grilled cheese sandwiches will end at that point (at least I hope). As far as the paralegal job goes, I hope I'll be "done" with that way before then. I'd really like to be a substitute teacher, but I need more education for that. That would be a good job for "retirement", too. Maybe the Lord will bless me with some extra income so that I can pursue some more schooling.

2. Are you actively planning for that now? How?

Not actively planning, but maybe dreaming a little. Wondering how I'll fill my "spare time". I'd like to enjoy coffee/hot chocolate every morning with my husband, reading the Bible together, sitting in a little breakfast nook, with a nice woodside view out the window--squirrels, bird feeders, that kind of thing. Maybe gazing over an abundant vegetable garden and beautiful flowers. I'm sure there will also be more scrapbooking, and perhaps some volunteering.

3. Do you think that you will "come out of retirement" at least once? To do what?

I won't be having any more kids at that age, so I won't be "coming out" to be a Mom again, that's for sure. Retirement is still quite a ways for me, so I'm not sure what I would come out of retirement for.

4. Will you have a career after retirement? Paid? volunteer?

I guess this goes along with #3 for me. I'm not really sure. I don't want to just sit around and do nothing all day. Volunteering would be nice--maybe at the school, or as a library mentor, or at Abri Crisis Pregnancy Center (which goes by a new name, but I can never remember it).

5. Will you just take one last look around, close the door behind you, and keep walking? Or, will it be a slower, more gradual, more thoughtful process?

Since I'm speaking of retirement in turns of "mothering", I definitely won't close the door behind me and keep walking. It will, in reality, go on forever. As far as my paralegal job goes, I hope I can close the door and move on. (Please, Lord!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts