Friday, September 26, 2008

PADDY'S FALL MI-5

Paddy says: "Ahhh, the first few days of Fall. One of my favorite times of the year, every year ... so this week's 5 is of an autumnal nature."

1. Describe your single fondest childhood memory of the fall season:

When I was in 5th grade, my teacher, Mr. Borgerson, made us start making 5 minute speeches. My very first speech was "How to Make a Fall Hut". I talked about making a little camp under a tree, using horsechestnut shells for dishes. I don't know if that's really a "fondest" memory, but that's what came to mind first.

2. What are your two favorite things to eat that are specific to this time of year?

Usually, things that are "specific to a time of year" are vegetable-related, so I don't think I really have any favorites. I do like the thought of hot mulled cider with popcorn (although I eat popcorn almost every day all year round). I usually make a batch of homemade applesauce, too (not that I eat it).

3. Name three items that you dig out of the closet and wear now that the weather is turning crisp?:

I have this pink sweatshirt type of thing that I have worn so much the neckline is frayed. It's like a really stiff cotton, and it has pretty design on it. It fits just right (or at least it did last year), and I just love that shirt. I think it was a "hand-me-down" from Lucille. I also dig out my slippers and my housecoat.

4. Tell us your four favorite activities that you enjoy between the Autumnal Equinox and Halloween (November AIN'T Fall here in Maine folks!)

Apple picking. Picking out and painting pumpkins. Going somewhere "different" to have a picnic and check out the foliage (although with gas prices, I'm not sure I'll be traveling very far). Autumn is Dwane's busiest time of year at work (it is not uncommon for him to work 80 hours per week), so it can get kind of boring.

5. Finally, what are the top five things that you need to get done before the winter hits?

The yard is a mess. That needs to get cleaned up. (Fortunately for me, Dwane usually handles this, in between his working 80+ hours/week.)
I need to put heavier blankets on the beds.
I need to call to schedule the annual furnace cleaning.
I probably need new tires on my van.
I'd really like to get my closet cleaned out so that I can get rid of my "bigger" clothes and find out what I may need for winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts