Wednesday, October 24, 2007

FOREVER

Forever, by Judy Blume. This is a book that my cousin Lisa got in trouble for reading...and I got in trouble because it was I who loaned her my copy of the book.

Over the last several years, I've thought about re-reading this book, just to see exactly how "bad" it really is. I had never had any luck in finding it (used copies at Amazon were at least $45 for a paperback version). This past Friday, however, Breakwater Bookland had a table marked "Teen Reading Month", and on the table, was Forever. I figured that since Bookland was labeling it a "teen" book, that it really couldn't be that bad, so I bought myself a copy.

It was BAD. I should have had my butt slapped hard for that reading that book, and especially for loaning it to my younger cousin. I absolutely could not believe that anyone would call that book appropriate for teenagers. I told Dwane that I thought Bookland should require an ID, and that people should be at least 18 years old before they could buy it. And, I think it should be wrapped in plastic like a nudie magazine. I thought it was just horrifying. Maybe I'm just a prude.

And the interesting thing is, I didn't remember the storyline of the book AT ALL. I remembered Ralph (after seeing it in print), but I didn't remember other character names, the plot line, NOTHING. The other thing that kind of tickled me is that there were phrases in the book that I never even would have understood as a teenager. In fact, I probably didn't understand them until I was married.

I am a HUGE Judy Blume fan. I think that Are You There God? It's Me Margaret is an absolutely beautiful book for pre-teen girls, and Eben and I have thoroughly enjoyed the Superfudge series. But Forever? I think it should be banned.

5 Comments:

Blogger Billy Rhythm said...

Book banning? Surely you can't be serious.

7:55 AM

 
Blogger Lisa said...

I didn't mean "book banning" so much in a political sense--I wasn't speaking as to our freedom to be able to read what we want to. It was more of a warning to parents of teenagers---make sure you read the book first before encouraging your teenager to read it. As a mother, I hope my kids (and my niece, too!) don't read this book until they are adults.

8:03 AM

 
Blogger Billy Rhythm said...

That sounds a little more reasonable. It would probably be very easy for a parent to let their child read that book. I, for one, never read it, but I did read a few of her books. If Julia came home with that book, I'd see Judy Blume, and not think twice. So a little foreknowledge is good.

10:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok now you have me as curious as heck. I haven't read this book and I was a total Judy Blume fan...what is it about???

2:27 PM

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Forever is about two high school seniors vowing to love each other forever, and engaging in explicit physical contact for the first time. (Using G-Rated language here.) There's not a huge plot, so if I say much more, there might not be any point in reading the book! :)

7:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts