Wednesday, August 27, 2008

JAY'S BACK TO SCHOOL MI-5

Jay says: "It’s that time of year – back to school with the kids (that’ll learn ‘em to complain about being bored during summer vacation!). Look back to your high school years & answer these questions five:"

1. Think back to the soundtrack of your high school years – what were you listening to then?

Oh, whatever was in the top 40 was what I was listening to. I specifically remember being together with the football team and the other cheerleaders on the bus to a game and grooving to "Karma Chameleon" by Culture Club, and "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues" by Elton John. As cheerleaders, we warmed up to all things Madonna, and we also liked to sing along to a Beatles song that goes something like "I don't know why you say goodbye and I say hello, hello, hello". And of course, we pronounced "hello" as "ello" and thought we sounded very British. I think it was the Beatles, but I could very well be wrong.

2. It’s an average Thursday night– what’s on TV?

The Cosby Show, of course! I think Alf may have been on Thursday nights, too, but I'm not positive about that.

3. What was playing at the local Bijou then?

I never really went to the movies much. As a tween, I remember going to see Star Wars, Rocky and 101 Dalmatians. During my senior year of high school, when I finally started dating, I saw Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and Perfect. My movie days really didn't start until 1988 or so (2 years after graduation).

4. What character from “The Breakfast Club” best described you during high school: Judd Hircsh, the brooding rebel without a cause? Molly Ringwald’s pampered princess? Ally Sheedy’s freak in need of a bottle of Head & Shoulders? Emilio Estevez’s varsity jacketed jock? Or Anthony Michael Hall’s dweeby dork?

While I see a little of myself in Molly Ringwald's character (teacher's pet, perfect teen, etc.) and I was also very proud of my varisty cheering letter (as was Emilio Estevez), I was probably most like Anthony Michael Hall's geek character. I was an honor student, and didn't like to party or anything, so I guess I was most like him.

5. Does looking back at your junior & senior high class pictures cause you to cringe, wondering why nobody stopped you from walking out into public looking like that? Why? Mullet? Poodle perm?

Shortly after graduation I got a perm. It didn't turn out at all like I wanted it to. I wanted a spiral perm, that would leave spiral curls, but I remember it just being frizz. During high school, my hair was pretty much just always straight and pulled back at the top with a barette, so it was pretty plain. Nothing that really makes me cringe. (What makes me cringe more is that I still have the same hair style 22 years later!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts