Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Yesterday, Mom and I played the organ/piano together for Dad's funeral service. Mom really wanted to do this, but I was very hesitant. I think I wanted to grieve in private, instead of in such a "public display". I knew I would cry, and I didn't want to make everyone else cry from watching me. God came through, though. I never shed a tear until the very last song we played, which was Dad's favorite. I was a little choked up during the congegational hymn, "Great Is Thy Faithfulness". I can't explain what a blessing it is to play the piano with hundreds of people singing. It was beautiful and very touching. Dad's hymn was next, though, and of course, that was the toughest. I'm not sure that many people would know the hymn, so I wanted to post the words here. This became Dad's favorite hymn probably 15 years ago or so--long before he was sick.

When the Morning Comes

Trials dark on ev'ry hand,
And we cannot understand
All the ways that God would lead us to that blessed promised land;
But He'll guide us with His eye,
And we'll follow till we die;
We will understand it better by and by.

Chorus:
By and by,
When the morning comes,
When the saints of God are gathered home,
We will tell the story how we've overcome;
We will understand it better by and by.

Oft our cherished plans have failed,
Disappointments have prevailed,
And we've wandered in the darkness,
Heavy-hearted and alone;
But we're trusting in the Lord,
And, according to His Word,
We will understand it better by and by.

Temptations, hidden snares
Often take us unawares
And our hearts are made to bleed
For some thoughtless word or deed,
And we wonder why the test
When we try to do our best,
But we'll understand it better by and by.

Words and Music by Charles A. Tindley.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You both did a great job. I was really proud of you and I also thought that was a wonderful thing to do for your dad. I know he would have loved it. I don't know if God lets us see our funerals but I really hope someway your dad got to see that. I felt his presence there in all the memories. It was the nicest funeral I have ever been to.

2:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry that last one was me Jim

2:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts