Friday, December 14, 2007

GINA'S MI-25

Gina says: Since we are in the full swing of the holiday season (yes, it’s almost time to start panicking if you haven’t started yet) I thought I would base my questions on traditions. But I’m also doing things a wee bit different. Instead of just five questions, I’m offering 25. You can do this anyway you’d like. If you have the time, it would be great to see all 25 questions answered. But if you’re seriously pressed for time, just pick five you would like to answer. And again, based on your time constraints, try to limit the one-word responses. For me, these Friday 5 questions offer an opportunity to get to know a little bit about you. Anyway, I’ll stop for now. Just do want you can do.

1. Do you usually use wrapping paper or gift bags?

Usually wrapping paper. I actually enjoy wrapping presents. They don't necessarily look very professional, but I enjoy it anyway. I used to help my grandmother wrap presents every year.

2. Is your tree a real tree or is it artificial?

It's artificial. While Dwane and I both prefer the fragrance of a real tree (and I enjoy the "hunt"), it's just more economical to have an artificial one. Last year, we bought one of those three-piece, pre-lit trees after Christmas. It went up really, really quick, and it actually looks quite nice.

3. If you do put a tree up, when do you usually do this?

Thanksgiving weekend, or as soon thereafter as possible.

4. When do you take your tree down? Any specific reason for this – tradition etc?

I like to get my tree down ASAP. Seeing an "empty" tree just depresses me--it means the hubbub is over for an entire year. It depresses me.

5. What about eggnog? Do you like it? Any special ingredients added?

I love my Aunt Ginny's/Uncle Adrian's eggnog, made from scratch on Christmas Eve. I'm quite the pig with it. Other than that, I could take it or leave it. I usually have one eggnog shake from McD's every year, just to see if I like it better. I don't. Dwane, on the other hand, loves eggnog.

6. Do you have a nativity scene? A menorah?

I don't have a menorah. I do have a very nice nativity scene, that is buried somewhere out in the shed of no return. I haven't put it out very often, because I'm afraid that it will be broken with a toddler around. Now, I'm just not sure where I'd put it. I anticipate that I will inherit an old nativity set one day, and if and when I do, it will need a VERY special place. I'll probably have Dwane build another room.

7. What was a special (or favorite) gift you received as a child?

As an older child, I received a teddy bear that played "Rock A Bye Baby". It made me cry. My Mom used to sign a lullaby to that tune, but with different words. It was something like "Jesus loves children, Jesus loves me, Jesus loves you, with love tenderly, for in the Bible it tells me, I know, that He will be with me wherever I go."

8. Who is your hardest person to buy for? Why?

Dwane is hard to buy for because he already has everything he wants. And for tools and what not, I have no idea what he has or what he needs. This year, I gave him a Home Depot flyer and told him to circle what he wanted. Eben is getting harder to buy for, too.

9. Who is your easiest person to buy for?

Caleb was easy this year. And anyone can be easy when you just walk through a store and see that "perfect" something. I love it when that happens. It used to happen all the time like that when I shopped for my brother, Michael. This is how that frog came to be at Mom's house.

10. Do you send Christmas (or holiday) cards? Email or snail mail?

I send photo Christmas cards. About 100 of them. Each year, I say I'm going to cut back, because I don't get close to that in return. I know it's not about "getting", but with the price of postage, it's close to $1.00 a card, and it adds up.

11. What was the worst Christmas present you ever received?

I can't think of one. I treasure everything. (As anyone can tell from looking at my house.)

12. What is your favorite holiday movie?

Oh, I used to love Dickens' The Christmas Carol. Didn't matter which version--I loved them all. I guess now my favorites are the Santa Claus ones with Tim Allen. I find I don't watch too many movies, though. I can't seem to sit still long enough to watch one.

13. When do you start your holiday shopping?

December 26

14. Have you ever recycled a present?

No. See #11.

15. What is your favorite thing to eat during the holidays?

Aunt Ginny's Candy Cane Cookies. Mom's Chex Mix. Mom's Christmas Dinner. McDonald's Custard Pies (still not out this year--I'm losing hope). I love it all.

16. What about the lights on your tree – colored, clear, mixed?

I prefer clear. If they are not going to be clear, it doesn't realy matter which color, as long as they are steady (not blinking), and all one color.

17. What is your favorite Christmas/holiday song?

The Partridge Family "Christmas Card".

18. Do you travel or stay home for the holidays?

Ma's on Christmas Eve (3 miles away), our house Christmas Morning, Mom's house Christmas afternoon (3 miles away).

19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer?

Let's say. Dasher. Dancer. Prancer. Vixen. Comet. Cupid. Donder. Blitzen. I guess I did it. Don't know if they are all spelled correctly, though. Cupid? Cupit? Donder? Donner?

20. What goes on the top of your tree? Angel, star, squirrel?

Angel.

21. Do you open presents on Christmas Eve, or Christmas morning?

Both. :) See #18.

22. What’s the most annoying thing about this time of year?

Not being able to walk through Wal-Mart.

23. Will you attend a religious service this Christmas season?

Our Sunday School Christmas Program is supposed to be this coming Sunday, but with the coming Nor'easter, I'm not sure it will happen. We're also planning to go Christmas Caroling on Tuesday, and we'll go to our Christmas Eve Service as well.

24. What would you really like to receive on Christmas this year?

Caleb's bedroom all cleaned out. I spent a week on Eben's (still working on it little by little). I pulled out 15 lawn and leaf bags of GARBAGE! And 5 loads of laundry! I'm hoping, hoping, hoping, that Dwane will do Caleb's for me as a Christmas gift.

25. And finally just to see if you’re paying attention, in A Charlie Brown Christmas, what does Lucy want for Christmas?

I have no clue. And I just watched that show with Caleb a week or so ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Previous Posts